Administration of Vilas Associate Awards
- The award covers two fiscal years; the periods for which the grant is awarded are not negotiable.
- A new fund 133 account will be created for each year and is assigned by Research and Sponsored Programs.
- Account number and allowable expenditure questions should be directed to Research and Sponsored Program’s Robert Andresen, 262-2896, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The award is set up and administered through the winner’s own department/college.
- The award provides for each year: 2/9ths summer salary for award winner and a flexible research fund (see more details below).
- RSP will assign two 133 accounts, one for each of the two fiscal years.
- Account assignment is made in May, prior to the start of that fiscal year.
Processing of expenditure forms
- The winner’s department processes all expenditure forms (IADS, payroll, requisition, etc.) through their own college.
Faculty Summer Salary
- Faculty who are paid on an annual (12 month) basis are not eligible for the summer salary portion of a Vilas Associate award.
- Summer salary is provided only for the July and August pay periods (payable August 1 and September 1), no exceptions are allowed.
- Vilas Associate summer salary is limited to the 2/9ths of the lowest paid full Vilas Professor. In cases where the Vilas Associate's academic year salary is greater than that Vilas Professor, the Vilas Associate's summer salary amount will be equal to the 2/9ths of the full Vilas Professor's salary.
- Fringe benefits associated with faculty summer salary payments are provided as part of this award.
- A flexible fund is provided for each of the two fiscal years. Flexible funds not spent during that fiscal year are lost, a carryover of the fiscal-year-end balance is not allowed. Per the terms of the Vilas Trust, there are NO exceptions.
- Flexible funds may not be used to provide additional salary support for the award winner or other faculty members.
- If flexible funds are used for other salary support, the associated fringe benefit and tuition remission charges will also be paid from the flexible fund.
- Items purchased with flexible funds are subject to the same State rules,
guidelines, and procedures as items purchased on State GPR funds (fund 101).