Institutional Nominations and Internal Competitions Spring Fellowships Competition
Application Deadline: Friday, December 7, 2012, 4:30 pm
The Graduate School is announcing procedures for nominating and selecting junior faculty members for fellowships that limit the number of applicants that may be submitted from an individual institution. Departments must submit their nominees applications by the December 7th deadline.
Programs covered in this internal competition include:
- Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation New Faculty Awards Program (suspended 2012-13)
- Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Awards Program
- Ellison Medical Foundation New Scholar Awards
- David and Lucile Packard Fellowships in Science and Engineering
- Shaw Scientist Program
Although we anticipate that all of these programs will be offered again in this coming year, many of the program competitions have not yet been announced by their funding organizations. For this reason, the memos linked to the program names above may contain instructions for applying last year.
The department is responsible for determining the eligibility for the nominees based on the previous year’s agency guidelines. We assume the eligibility criteria will remain the same as last year. For last year's eligibility guidelines, please refer to the program links above. As in previous years, each department is limited to nominating one candidate per fellowship program.
Submit Departmental Nominations and Applications
1. Prepare applications in 12-point font, single-spaced.
2. Include the following sections in the candidate’s application for the internal review. Please note that the parts of the application listed below should be generic in nature and need not adhere to the guidelines of any one fellowship competition in order to allow faculty to compete for more than one fellowship with a single application.
- Cover sheet that includes the applicant’s departmental affiliation, full contact information, the name or names of the programs for which the candidate is applying, the applicant’s appointment begin date, and visa status.
- Abbreviated CV or Biosketch including publications and current/pending support (3 pp. maximum)
- Most significant research to date (1 p. maximum)
- General research description and statement of research goals (3-4 pp.)
- Letter of support from the department chair
- One external letter of support (from thesis or postdoctoral adviser or other recommender) is strongly encouraged
3. Save application as a pdf file.
4. Submit the application as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 7, 2012 with INIC Application-applicant’s name in the subject line of the email message.
Notification of selected candidates
The review committee will meet in early January to select the nominees. Applicants will be notified promptly after the selections have been made.
Questions about the competition?
E-mail email@example.com or call Heather Daniels (263-7274)