Fall Institutional Nominations and Internal Competitions
To: Chairs, Departments in the Biological, Physical, and Social Sciences
From: Heather Daniels, Graduate School
Date: June 11, 2012
Subject: Fall Institutional Nominations and Internal Competitions (INIC)
Deadline for internal competition is Monday, July 30, 2012
The Graduate School is announcing procedures for nominating and selecting junior faculty members for fellowships that limit the number of applicants that may be submitted from an individual institution. Departments must submit their nominees applications by the July 30th deadline.
Programs covered in this internal competition include:
- Beckman Young Investigators Program (application not needed; no longer limited)
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund Investigators in Pathogenesis of Infectious Diseases Program
- Microsoft Research Faculty Fellowship Program
- Pew Scholars Program in the Biomedical Sciences
- Searle Scholars Program
Note: Some of the competitions for this fall have not yet been announced by their funding organizations.
The department is responsible for determining the eligibility for the nominees based on the previous year’s agency guidelines. We assume the eligibility criteria will remain the same as last year. For last year's eligibility guidelines, please refer to the program links above. As in previous years, each department is limited to nominating one candidate per fellowship program.
Internal Competition Application Instructions:
Applications for internal competition:
1. Prepare applications in 12-point font, single-spaced.
2. Include the following sections in the candidate’s application for the internal review. Please note that the parts of the application listed below should be generic in nature and need not adhere to the guidelines of any one fellowship competition in order to allow faculty to compete for more than one fellowship with a single application.
- Cover sheet that includes the applicant’s departmental affiliation, full contact information, the name or names of the programs for which the candidate is applying, the applicant’s appointment begin date, and visa status.
- Abbreviated CV or Biosketch including publications and current/pending support (3 pp. maximum)
- Most significant research to date (1 p. maximum)
- General research description and statement of research goals (3-4 pp.)
- Letter of support from the department chair
- One external letter of support (from thesis or postdoc adviser or other recommender) is strongly encouraged.
3. Save application as a pdf file.
4. Submit the application as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, July 30, 2012 with "INIC-applicant’s last name" in the subject line of the email message.
The review committee will meet in mid August to select the nominees. Applicants will be notified promptly after the selections have been made.
A separate call will be sent this fall regarding the competition for the Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation New Faculty Awards Program; Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Awards Program; Ellison Medical Foundation New Scholar Awards; David and Lucile Packard Fellowships in Science and Engineering; and Shaw Scientist Program.
Questions about the competition?
E-mail email@example.com or call Heather Daniels (263-7274) or Petra Schroeder (265-4868).