Burroughs Wellcome Career Awards for Medical Scientists (CAMS)
To: Chairs, Departments in the Biological Sciences
From: Heather Daniels, Graduate School
Date: July 31, 2012
Subject: Burroughs Wellcome Career Awards for Medical Scientists (CAMS)
Nominations are due at the Graduate School on Monday, August 13; Applications are due for internal review on TBD.
The Burroughs Wellcome has announced a call for nominations for the Career Awards for Medical Sciences (CAMS). The program supports the physician scientist (M.D., D.V.M. or D.D.S.) supporting the last year(s) of postdoctoral/fellowship training and the early years of faculty service. The award provides $700,000 over five years.
UW-Madison may nominate up to 5 applicants or 6 if there are either two women or two under-represented minority or one woman and one under-represented minority among the 6 applicants.
- Candidates must hold an M.D., D.D.S., or D.V.M. degree.
- Candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or Canada at the time of application.
- Proposals must be in the area of basic biomedical, disease oriented, or translational research. Proposals in health services research or involving large-scale clinical trials are ineligible.
- Candidates must be a clinical fellow, resident or a postdoctoral researcher and have at least two years of postdoctoral research experience at the time of application.
- Candidates must not be more than 10 years past their most recent doctorate degree.
- Candidates who hold a junior faculty appointment may be eligible if they have been in a faculty position for two years or less at the time of application. The appointment must have begun no earlier than July 1, 2010.
- Additional eligibility criteria are on the website listed below.
This contains eligibility criteria, application instructions and FAQs.
Internal Competition Instructions:
Nomination Instructions - Send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org with "BW CAMS " by Monday, August 13, 2012 to inform us of your intention to submit a proposal. Please include the following in your email message:
--name and full contact information for the applicant
--country of residency
PIs will be notified if an internal competition is necessary.
Applications from nominees selected in the internal competition must be submitted electronically through BWF Grant Application System by 4 pm EDT on Monday, October 1.
If you have any questions about this procedure, please contact Heather Daniels, 608-263-7274 or Petra Schroeder, 608-265-4868 or email email@example.com