Previously Enrolled Graduate StudentsIf you were enrolled as a graduate student but have had a break in enrollment for a minimum of a fall or spring term, you will need to apply to resume your studies.
- You must complete a NEW online application for admission. If you are applying for readmission to your previous program you may not need new recommendations or statement of purpose, but you should check with your program. However, all materials are required if you are applying to a new program.
- No fee is required if you have been enrolled in the last 5 years. You must pay an application fee if it has been more than 5 years since your last enrollment. (See chart below)
- You should submit the online application at least six (6) weeks prior to the start of your intended semester.
- After submission of your application, the program will review your records including your application.
- If you have attended any other colleges or universities since your last enrollment, you must list those institutions and submit official transcripts from them to your program.
- You may be required to pay a Degree Completion Fee. Please see the Academic Policies and Procedures for more information.
- Contact your intended program regarding deadlines and additional admission requirements.
- To reapply click here.
If you have not enrolled in the past 5 years, you must submit an online application and pay the application fee.
Master's Degree students: If you are applying to resume your studies after five years to complete a degree that was in progress, you must fulfill the Graduate School's minimum credit requirement. Credits earned while previously enrolled are not counted toward this requirement.
Ph.D. students: If you did not take the final oral examination within five years after passing the preliminary examination, you must take another preliminary examination to be awarded dissertator status.
Five Year Term Limit Spring 2015 Spring 2010 Summer 2015 Summer 2010 Fall 2015-2016 Fall 2010-2011 Spring 2015 Spring 2010 Summer 2015 Summer 2010 Fall 2015-2016 Fall 2010-2011
Appeals to Time Limit Policy (after 5 years): Your program can submit a written request to the Graduate School Office of Academic Services if they believe an appeal is appropriate. An appeal should provide information demonstrating that you have remained current in your field of study, for example, a resume showing applicable work experience in your field of study and/or official transcripts from other schools attended. At the time of admission, your program should recommend to the Graduate School which credits, if any, should be counted toward the Graduate School Minimum Credit Requirement for work done more than five years ago.
Incompletes must be completed during the first semester of enrollment upon your return to graduate studies.
Previously Enrolled International Students
You must contact the Office of International Student Services for immigration
716 Langdon Street (Red Gym/Armory)
Please do not send financial documents until requested by the Graduate School. This information will be requested upon a positive admission recommendation from the program.
If your native language is not English, you may need to provide a new TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB score.
Graduate School Contact Information:
228 Bascom Hall
500 Lincoln Drive
Madison, WI 53706
firstname.lastname@example.org ("Readmission Inquiry" as subject)
Academic Services/Graduate Degree Coordinator
217 Bascom Hall
500 Lincoln Drive
Madison, WI 53706